Thursday, January 19, 2017

A Cheesy Post

(source unknown)
Oh my goodness... cheese....

(source unknown)
...hang on...

(source unknown)
 ...okay, I'm ok....

...maybe...

OK, cheese. Milk and mold turned into deliciousness. Well, maybe it's more complicated than that.

I took the plunge and tried making my own using this book:

It includes recipes for butter, sour cream, several soft cheeses,yogurt and more, along with some fantastic recipes for using all of the dairy deliciousness you make. Eggplant Rollatini, cheesecake, yum. We got some tasty mozzarella out of our first try. There's something so incredibly satisfying about a meal you prepare with ingredients you have grown or made yourself.

My next project will be aging cheese. That will be a while down the road (good thing I love mozzarella and farmer's cheese!) but in my mind's eye I see us doing what Kurt at Kurtwood Farms did. Below are pictures of the cheese cave he built on his small acreage to house his farmstead cheeses.

(credit Kurtwood Farms)
(credit Kurtwood Farms)
(credit Kurtwood Farms)

That has since been buried and a door fitted to the entrance. It occurs to me that I could do something similar, if I halve our walipini space. The debate begins... garden or cheese? Mmmm....cheese....


No comments:

Post a Comment